Kathy's Back in Walford!

EastEnders have released the first images of Kathy Beale back in Albert Square.

Taylforth surprised viewers on Thursday when she stepped out of a taxi during one of the live scenes.


Kathy was last seen in Walford in 2000 and was killed off back in 2006.

Taylforth said she was in "shock" after hearing EastEnders bosses wanted her character back in the show.

Speaking on EastEnders: Backstage Live, she said: "It's been fantastic. When [executive producer] Dom and [casting director] Julia Crampsie phoned, I was in shock for ages.

"It's been very hard keeping it a secret, especially from my children. They've been going, 'Oh mum, so-and-so has died and come back, why can't you?' I've said, 'I'm dead!'"

Gillian Taylforth as Kathy Beale in EastEnders
© BBC / Kieron McCarron

EastEnders producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins revealed that actor Adam Woodyatt (Ian Beale) started sobbing when he heard his on-screen mum would be making a return.

"I told him, 'Look, we're bringing someone back'," said Treadwell-Collins. "He looked at me and he went, 'Not my mum?'

"He broke, and he started sobbing and sobbing and sobbing. He looked at me and said, 'Really? That's all I ever wanted, all I ever wanted is for my mum to come back'."

The EastEnders 30th anniversary week brought the long-running 'Who killed Lucy Beale?' storyline to a close, when in Thursday night's show it was revealed that Bobby Beale killed his sister.

Comments